Blue Catfish Tacos
From Chef Chad Wells
Ingredients – (2 Servings, Six Tacos)
– For the Blue Catfish
- One 12 Ounce skinless filet, sliced into one inch by one inch cubes
- Canola oil, for cooking fish
- Kosher salt
– For the Chimichurri Marinade
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2/3 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 7 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 1/2 bunches fresh flat-leaf parsley, stemmed
- Juice of 1 fresh ripe lime
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
– For the grilled Corn Salsa :
- 4 1/2 ounces onion, small dice
- 2 ears corn, grilled until blistered, kernels removed
- Juice of 2 ripe limes
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 1/4 bunch fresh cilantro, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 5 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
– For the Chipotle slaw
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chipotle in adobo, pureed
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 head cabbage, shaved
– Grilled 6-inch tortillas, for serving
– Fried sweet potato sticks, for serving
– Lime slices for serving
– Chimichurri marinade: Combine the vinegar, oregano, crushed red pepper, salt, garlic, parsley and lime juice in a food processor. Slowly add in the olive oil while blending. Cover the blue catfish with the desired amount of chimichurri marinade and refrigerate while preparing the Slaw and Grilled Corn Salsa.
– Grilled corn salsa: Combine the tomatoes, onions, corn, lime juice, jalapeno and cilantro in a mixing bowl and season with salt. Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
– Slaw: Whisk together the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, chipotle and lime juice in a bowl until combined. Slowly add the slaw mix to the cabbage until desired consistency is reached. If you would like more heat, add more chipotle puree.
– Blue Catfish: Heat a saute pan over high heat and coat with oil. Once the pan is hot and the oil slides freely across the pan, place the blue catfish in the pan and sprinkle with salt. Cook until tender to the touch and the fish begins to flake when pushed with a spatula. This fish cooks extremely fast!
– Plating: Place the grilled tortillas on a plate and top with the cooked catfish, Grilled Corn Salsa, Slaw and fried sweet potato sticks. Garnish with lime slices.